Suffering from eye strain? Try these simple home remedies.
In today’s world where we spend a lot of time staring at computer or mobile screen, eye strain is a very common problem, faced by almost everyone. Apart from staring at digital devices, several other things such as reading without pause, driving long distances, stress, exposure to bright light, lack of sleep or having some underlying eye problems can cause eye strain. Blurred or double vision, watery or dry eyes, burn or itchiness in eyes, headaches, lack of concentration etc are some of the symptoms of eye strain and if you’re experiencing any of them, these following home remedies can help you get rid of it.
- Take frequent breaks: Staring at a computer or mobile screen for hours is the most common reason behind eye strain. While doing work, take at least 30 seconds break in every 30 minutes and look away from the screen. This will give your eyes some rest and help easing strain.
- Cold Water: Splashing eyes with cold water is the most simple and quick home remedy to treat eye strain, as it relaxes tensed muscles around your eyes, improves blood circulation and reduces eye puffiness.
- Eye Massage: Just use your fingers and gently massage your eyelids, the muscles around eyebrows, the temple and upper cheekbones. This relaxes eye muscles, improves blood circulation around eyes and stimulates tear glands to prevent dry eyes. Repeat this process twice a day for better result.
- Warm Compress: A warm compress relaxes eye muscles, prevents dry eyes, reduces swelling and eases strain. First, dip a soft and clean cloth into warm water. Then lie down on a sofa, close your eyes, place that warm cloth on your eyelids and then, relax and breathe for a minute. Repeat this thrice a day and see the result.
- Sunning: Sunlight releases dopamine in your ratina, which results in reducing eye strain and improving the overall health of your eyes. Just stand on your balcony, close your eyes and enjoy the warmth of sunlight.
- Use Cucumber: The astringent properties in cucumber prevent puffiness in your eyes and reduce eye strain. Take a fresh cucumber, cut it into slices and put them on your closed eyes. Repeat this process twice a day for better result.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is loaded with healing properties which improve blood circulation around your eyes, prevent puffiness and reduce eye strain. Apply some aloe vera gel on your eyelids, leave it for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
You can also use rose water, chamomile tea or try palming technique and do some eye exercises to relieve eye strain.