Read on to find out how you can identify if you have migraine.
Migraine is a common neurological condition that can happen to people of any age group, gender or background. While the exact cause of migraine is still unknown, there are several factors such as hormonal changes, improper diet, tiredness, stress, strong smell, low blood sugar, lack of sleep and dehydration etc can trigger your migraine. This is extremely contagious and can affect you in several ways. So, if you’re experiencing any of the following signs and symptoms, then immediately consult with a doctor.
- Headache: This is the earliest and most common sign of migraine. Probably due to the changes of blood flow in the brain, a sensation occurs in the head and results in severe headache.
- Aura: People with migraine often experience aura which lasts for 20 minutes to 1 hour. This includes vision loss, sensation in arms or legs, numbness in one side of the body, difficulties in speaking etc.
- Insomnia: Difficulties in falling asleep and waking up late and tired in the morning are common signs of having migraine. Several researches have shown that migraine decreases the release of sleep hormone in your body and as a result, you start to develop insomnia.
- Cravings: While the association between migraine and cravings is still unknown, people with migraine often crave certain foods, especially chocolate.
- Nausea and vomiting: Most of the people with migraine experience nausea and vomiting as symptoms. This can be extremely troubling and if not controlled immediately, may lead you to severe pain and uneasiness.
- Depression: It is clinically proven that people with migraine are at a higher risk of suffering from anxiety and depression. Mood swings, feeling low for no particular reason, feeling stressful all the time etc are some of the most common signs of migraine.
- Eye pain: Migraine makes the blood vessels in the optic nerve tighten and swell. As a result, you start experiencing various visual distortions and extreme pain behind the eyes.
- Frequent urination: If you feel an urge to go to the washroom quite often, then you might have migraine. This is a common warning sign in the premonitory phase of the migraine.
- Neck pain: Experiencing neck pain or stiffness is a common symptom in the early stage of migraine. This happens due to the impatience of the nerve fibers from the brain to the neck region.
- Yawning: This is another common sign of migraine in the early stage and this happens probably because of some changes in the functions of neurotransmitter dopamine in the brain.
Also, stuffy nose, watery eyes, numbness, trouble speaking and fatigue are some of the most common signs of migraine.