NMC Announces A Common National Medical Register for All Doctors
National Medical Commission makes passing of National Exit Test compulsory for both Indian and foreign medical graduate for registration in India.
About the initiative:
Doctors will now have to get a Unique Identification Number (UID) to be able to practice medicine in the country, as per the new regulations by the National Medical Commission (NMC).
The UID will be generated centrally by the NMC ethics board and thereby grant the practitioner, registration in NMR and eligibility to practice medicine in India.
Words from the notification:
According to the new notification by NMC, there will be a common national medical register for all the registered medical practitioners of the country. The same will be maintained by the Ethics and Medical Registration Board (EMRB) under the NMC.
This register will contain all the entries of the registered medical practitioners of all State Registers maintained by the various State Medical Councils and will have all relevant information regarding the medical practitioner.
The licence to practice medicine issued to a registered medical practitioner will be valid for a period of five years after which the medical practitioner will have to renew the licencing by making an application to the State Medical Council, said the new notification-“Registration of Medical Practitioners and Licence to Practice Medicine Regulations, 2023”.
The application for renewal of licence may be made before three month of expiration of the validity of licence, it said.
Procedure for making application for licence to practice medicine:
- For the purpose of obtaining licence, a person may apply through a web portal of the Ethics & Medical Registration Board containing such details as specified in the electronic format.
- The eligible person may opt any State/States to practice medicine and the application so made through the web portal shall be referred to the concerned State/ States Medical Council.
- The State Medical Council shall satisfy themselves and consider the application for grant of licence to practice medicine in that state after charging appropriate fee within a period of 30 days.
- The certificate of licence shall contain a registration number which shall be formed in such a way that a Unique Identification Number shall be suffixed with a Code of the concerned State/Union Territory.
- On approval of the application by the State Medical Council, the same shall be reflected in the National Medical Register and also in the State Medical Register.