Zoya Akhtar’s superhit show, Made in Heaven, starring Arjun Mathur and Shobhita Dhulipala which caused nothing less of a sensation with the release of its first season in 2019. The first season was absolutely brilliant, complex, sensational! It narrated the story of a group of wedding planners and depicted multiple social issues in the form of wedding drama, family politics and issues that arose for their clients. The show brought up through these the different problems that plagued Indian society, how each of them were resolved and in some cases, lingered. It beautifully depicted their personal and professional lives, and was an absolutely gripping watch!
Finally after 4 years, Made in Heaven returned with the new season! Was it worth the wait?
POV – The second season was totally worth the wait !
- Good to see them again– Other than the engaging plot, it was the characters that made the first season extremely memorable. Revisiting the characters, seeing the changes that they underwent in life, was therefore lovely to see, in the second season. The character development of Jazz (played by Shivani Raghuvanshi), her relationship with Kabir (played by Shashank Arora) and Tara (played by Sobhita Dhulipala), after her separation was especially interesting to watch!
- Continued to be relevant– This season, much like the last also had a fair amount of relevant issues that were dealt with, which causes the show to continue to be relatable and a recommended watch!
- Introduction of new characters which made the plots very interesting– Other than the old, what was interesting this season was the character development of the two new characters, Bulbul Jauhari (played by Mona Singh) and Mehr (played by Trinetra Haldar Gummaruju). Another supporting actor but a very interesting and unexpected character was Jauhar Sahab (played by Vijay Raaz).
- A very meaningful end– Not to give any spoilers for those still watching the show, but if you are not satisfied, you are advised to not give up on it! Watch it till the end, the end is so meaningful and satisfying and beautiful, that it justifies your entire 7+ hours that you would invest in the show! It gives the idea that love wins, that self-care is paramount and the eternity of friendship!
POV- It was good, but didn’t match up to the first season! –
- Change in format which made it less appealing– One difference between the previous season and the new season was a change in the format of episodes, which is comparatively less engaging. Previously the wedding was the centre of attention, and the story, which was interwoven with all the personal problems. Now the wedding became only one part in the larger episode, and the predominant narrative became the personal problems of the characters. This dents the previous tightly-made brilliantly complex plots. It is not as well put together!
- Less Complex than before- The first season masterfully raised complicated situations that lay beneath the surface of the seemingly happy union that was going on. These multiple dimensions of these complex issue were explored. One very unique aspect was the careful portrayal of the perspective of the women getting married and how they dealt, sometimes even reconciled to the different situations that arose in these weddings. However, in this season, the process of uncovering, dealing with and resolving the issues that arose, lay beneath the surface of a seemingly happy union typical to Made in Heaven was missing! The issues were not explored!
So what did you think of the new season? Are you satisfied?