Based on Vikram Chandra’s novel, ‘Sacred Games’ is a dark and intense crime drama series that will put you at the edge of your seat.
‘Sacred Games’ is one of those leading web series which paved the way for other creators to make web series in India. Directed by Anurag Kashyap, VikramadityaMotwane and Neeraj Ghaywan, ‘Sacred Games’ revolves around the clash between Sartaj Singh (a cop, played by Saif Ali Khan) and Ganesh Gaitonde (a gangster, played by Nawazuddin Siddiqui) and as the plot unfolds, it becomes very interesting and explores several aspects of politics, religion, society and life. Here, we have gathered some amazing facts about the series that you probably didn’t know.
- Anurag Kashyap, one of the creators of the show, had read the novel ‘Sacred Games’ in 2006 when it was published. In 2014, AMC from Scott Free Productions approached him to make a series on the novel in English. Kashyap refused the offer as he never wanted to do “anything based in India, in English”.
- ‘Sacred Games’ is the first original series on Netflix India and also, it is the first Indian show to stream in several other countries.
- In season 1, Anurag Kashyap and Vikramaditya Motwane directed the stories of Ganesh Gaitonde and Sartaj Singh respectively.
- After making several hit movies, ‘Sacred Games’ was the 7th time when Anurag Kashyap and Nawazuddin Siddiqui collaborated.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui’s portrayal of Ganesh Gaitonde received huge appreciations from both the critics and the viewers. The actor thinks that it is the most complex character in his whole career.
- Saif Ali Khan said in an interview, “Sacred Games is the most intelligent, the sharpest and most creative project I’ve been involved in my life so far.”
- Pankaj Tripathi didn’t have any reference to play the character Guruji. So, he locked himself in a dark room to understand the nature of the character.
- The logo of the series was highly inspired from ‘Endless Knot’.
- Almost all the episodes have direct references to the Hindu epic ‘Ramayana’.
- In the series, many characters speak different Indian languages such as Hindi, Punjabi, Marathi and Gujarati. Anurag Kashyap said in an interview, “It gives a real sense of what India is”.
- If you closely look at the title track sequence, you’ll find several symbols of the Indus civilization.
- The season 2 of this series got a nomination for Best Drama Series at the International Emmy Awards 2019.
- The season 1 became so successful that Netflix invested about 100 crore rupees on the season 2.
‘Sacred Games’ may not be the best series made in India, but the ensemble cast, complicated subplots, layered characters and top notch performances make it the most special series ever made in India.