Check out these amazing health benefits of whole grains.
Whole grains are considered as one of the most beneficial food for our health. It includes rice, wheat, maize, oats, sorghum, quinoa, corn, barley etc. Whole grains contain vitamin B, vitamin E, iron, protein, magnesium, fiber and several other antioxidant compounds which help us to fight against many diseases. Here, we will talk about such amazing health benefits of whole grains.
- Heart: Whole grains are rich source of fiber. It lowers cholesterol level, controls blood pressure and improves your heart health. If you consume at least 28 grams whole grains on a daily basis, it reduces the risk of any kind of heart diseases by 22%.
- Digestion: The fiber in whole grains boosts your digestion system and fights against several bowel diseases. Whole grains are also a good source of lactic acid which helps in nutrition absorption and improves digestion.
- Weight loss: The fiber in whole grains boosts your metabolism and helps you burn more calories, which help you to lose weight. A study has shown that if you consume a high amount of whole grains on a regular basis, it reduces the risk of obesity by 49%. It also reduces the risk of dyslipidemia.
- Cholesterol: The dietary fiber in whole grains reduces LDL cholesterol in your bloodstream. While any kind of whole grains is good for lowering cholesterol level, oats contain beta-glucan which is the most beneficial.
- Diabetes: Whole grains contain dietary fiber, magnesium, carbohydrate and it is also low on fat. Consuming whole grains on a daily basis promotes insulin secretion and glucose metabolism in your body. It controls blood sugar and prevents diabetes.
- Stroke and Cancer: Whole grains are a rich source of fiber, vitamin K and several antioxidant compounds which reduce the risk of stroke. Minerals such as fiber, selenium, phenols, lignans and vitamin E in whole grains prevent the risk of certain cancers such as breast, pancreatic and colorectal cancer. Consuming 90 grams of whole grains on a daily basis reduces the risk of colorectal cancer by 17%.
- Mental Health: Whole grains are rich source of vitamin B and vitamin E which boost your mental health and protect you from several mental health diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease. Vitamin B is also beneficial for your nervous system.
- Immunity: Minerals such as magnesium and selenium found in whole grains help in building bones, releasing energy, which then boost your immunity.
Whole grains also prevent asthma, reduce the risk of chronic inflammation and protect teeth and gums. So include whole grains in your diet and make your health better.