Here are the top things that you can do in Gokarna
Are you planning to spend your weekend away from the city chaos? Do you want to get Goa vibes in Karnataka? Then the place you should stop by is Gokarna.
Located 490 km from Bangalore, Gokarna means cow’s ear in Sanskrit. It is famously known for the Shiva temple. There is an exciting tale behind it. When the 10-headed Ravana, the demon king of Lanka, attempted to pull the Atmaling granted to him by Lord Shiva, it emerged from the ground in the shape of a cow’s ear, thus giving the location its name.
Grab a Vehicle on rent at reasonable prices and start exploring the place.
- Cafe hopping: Mantra Cafe, Namaste cafe, La Luna Cafe, Mango Tree Cafe, Swaad Cafe, Cafe Coffee Day, and La Casa Cafe are some cafes where you can hop to enjoy beach views and delicious food. The majority of Gokarna’s cafes serve local cuisine as well as a variety of other delicacies. They also have a variety of beverages, such as fresh juices, smoothies, and milkshakes.
- Beaches: Paradise Beach, near Om Beach, is a private beach with beautiful pure blue waters. Half Moon Beach is one of Gokarna’s most popular beaches, with a crescent-shaped stretch of white sand. Om Beach is one of Gokarna’s most famous beaches, with the iconic shape of the Om symbol. Kudle Beach is one of Gokarna’s busiest and most popular beaches.
- Yana Caves: Yana Caves are two limestone rock-cut caverns in the Uttara Kannada district village of Yana. The caves are 300 metres high and located near the peak of Bhairaveshwara (980 feet). Many Hindu carvings and sculptures, including those of Shiva and Parvati, can be seen in the caves. It is 50 km from Gokarna.
- Mirjan Fort: The fort is roughly 23 kilometres from Gokarna. The emperors of the Vijayanagara Kingdom constructed it in the 15th century. The fort walls- embellished with exquisite carvings and sculptures, and its intricately designed gates are worth a visit. The fort is a famous photography location with a fantastic sunset view.
- Temples: The temples in Gokarna, constructed in the classic Dravidian style, have elaborate carvings and sculptures. The Mahabaleshwar Temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva, is Gokarna’s principal shrine. Some other famous Gokarna temples are Shree Maha Ganapati Dev temple, Sri Gokarna Rudragaya Temple, Sri Muneshwara Temple and many more.
- Trek: A 10 km trek cum hike which stretches from Main Beach, Kudle Beach, Om Beach, Half Moon Beach and finally, Paradise Beach. It will take around 5-6 hours to cover the track. It is an easy trek; a person with average fitness can also go for this trek. You can see Dolphins from a couple of cliffs near Half Moon Beach.
- Water Sports: Surfing, kayaking, banana boat rides, parasailing, scuba diving, and snorkelling are among the water sports available on Gokarna’s beaches. Jet skiing, boat trips, and fishing are among popular Gokarna activities.