Goa. As they say, “The paradise of South Asia”.
Beaches with golden sands, historical churches, forts and temples, mouth-watering cuisines, charming waterfalls, adventure sports, wildlife and late-night parties; Goa is no less than a paradise to the tourists. Regarded as one of the most beautiful travel destinations in India, Goa attracts thousands of tourists from all over the world with its charming beauty and exciting ambience. Here, let’s take a look at 5 best places in Goa that you should visit at least once in your lifetime.
- Old Goa: Located on the southern banks of the Mandovi River in North Goa, this place (also known as Velha Goa) carries the rich history and heritage of Goa. It was the capital of Portuguese India between 16th and 18th century and now, attracts tourists with its great architecture, churches and cathedrals, amazing islands and a lot more. Basilica of Bom Jesus, Se Cathedral, Divar Island, St. Augustine Ruins and Wax World Museum are some of the must visit sites at Old Goa.
- Vasco da Gama: Named after the Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama, this place attracts tourists mostly for its beautiful beaches. Also, St. Andrew’s Church, Mormugao Fort, Cansualim Beach, Sahakari Spice Farm are some of the best attractions of this place. March is the best time to visit this place as you can attend a colourful festival called Shigmo.
- Mapusa: Mapusa is one of the most popular travel destinations in Goa and along with the amazing temples and churches, this place attracts tourists with the MapusaFriday Market that takes place on every friday. Also, several famous beaches like Vagator, Anjuna and Chapora are very close to this place. Bodgeshwar Temple, St. Jerome Church, Cansualim Church are some of the must visit sites at Mapusa.
- Mollem National Park: If you love wildlife, then this place might be the most perfect destination for you. This park attracts tourists with its variety of bird species such as wagtails, fairy bluebird, kingfisher, golden oriole etc and butterfly species like Crimson Rose, Malabar Tree Nymph, Plain Tiger and Lime Butterfly etc. The place is also famous for its jungle safari and trekking trails. Visit Sunset Point, Tambdi Surla temple and Tambdi Water Falls if you’re at Mollem National Park.
- Panaji: Located on the southern banks of Mandovi river, Panaji is the capital city of Goa. With the enthralling walking tours, attractive heritage buildings, charming beaches, rich architecture, sacred temples and churches and several sports activities, this place will fill your heart with a lot of joy and happiness. Dr. Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Resig Magos Fort and Miramar Beach are the highlights of Panaji.
Also, Calangute, Agonda, Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary, Ponda, Margao etc are some of the best places to visit in Goa.