A healthy diet is what you need to maintain proper bone health in your body.
Bones are very important as they protect our body and maintain our overall shape. They protect all the organs, anchor muscles and promote blood cell formation and storage of nutrients in our body. If your bone health is not good enough, it can cause several problems such as osteoporosis and rickets. Your bones need proper nutrition, so let’s take a look at the foods that may help you to keep your bones healthy.
- Vegetables: Fresh vegetables are extremely beneficial for your bone health. They increase bone density, protect your bones from damage and prevent conditions like osteopenia and osteoporosis. Collard greens, spinach, kale, beet, tomato, potato, broccoli, brussels sprouts, mustard greens, turnip greens, cabbage etc contain nutrients such as Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Vitamin C and Vitamin K which improve your bone health.
- Fruits: Fruits such as papaya, orange, banana, prunes, grapefruits, strawberries, pineapples are rich source of Vitamin C and Potassium which promote the production of bone-forming cells, increase bone density and improve the overall health of your bones.
- Dairy Products: Dairy products such as milk, yogurt and cheese are rich source of calcium which strengthens your bones and maintains good structure of it. Choose non-fat dairy products for better result.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds contain protein, fats and nutrients like calcium, magnesium and phosphorus which are extremely essential for your bone health. Nuts make your bones stronger and prevent osteoporosis. Almonds, walnuts, peanuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, pistachios are some of the healthiest nuts that keep your bones healthy. Seeds are also a good source of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids which reduce cholesterol, ease inflammation and strengthen your bones. Flaxseed, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds etc are some of the most beneficial seeds for your bone health.
- Beans: Beans are loaded with fiber, protein and nutrients like calcium, magnesium and phosphorus which keep your bones healthy. Beans also contain phytates, a substance that improves your body’s ability to absorb calcium. While all kinds of beans are healthy for your bones, choose pinto beans, black beans, edamame and kidney beans for better result.
- Fortified Foods: Fortified foods such as breads, cereal and orange juice are added with extra calcium and vitamin D. If you don’t like dairy products, Fortified foods can be a great alternative to maintain your bone health.
- Soya: Soya products such as tofu, soybeans, soy milk etc are loaded with nutrients that strengthen your bones, reduce bone loss and prevent osteoporosis.
Also Wheat Bran, Salty foods, Salmon, molasses etc are some of the best foods that improve your bone health.